Avoiding a Capital Gains Tax Minefield for Non-Residents

Published 1st May 2017

It has come to our attention that some non-resident clients are making transfers of the ownership of their UK property (often within the family) without asking us first. This can lead to some very large tax bills even where no money is paid.

If you are thinking of transferring a property it is vital that you contact us first.

As you know, a sale for full value is subject to tax on the gain, usually on the uplift in value since 5th April 2015 or later if you bought it after that date.

But what if you give away the property or part of the property?

When you make a gift of part or all of a property there is a “disposal”. Disposals are subject to Capital Gains Tax in the UK whether money is paid for the property or not. Most commonly this occurs when you transfer part or all of the ownership of a property to a family member without receiving any payment, though it can also apply when the payment you receive is less than market value.

Whenever there are disposals where the aggregate proceeds or value exceeds £45,200 or the aggregate gain exceeds £11,300 you must report it to HMRC and pay any tax due.

There are two problem areas


Transfers between husband and wife are treated as creating no gain and no loss for UK tax purposes. However if the first owner purchased the property a long time before 5th April 2015 and the transfer occurs after 5th April 2015 the transfer may create a huge tax liability.

Example 1
George is not resident in the UK. He purchased a property in 2000 for £100,000. In April 2015 it was worth £750,000 and he sells it in March 2017 for £800,000. He will pay Capital Gains Tax on £50,000 (the increase in value since April 2015).

Example 2
John is also not resident in the UK. He purchased a property in 2000 for £100,000. In April 2015 it was worth £750,000 and he gave 50% ownership to his wife in March 2016.  In March 2017 they sell the property for  £800,000. He will pay Capital Gains Tax on £25,000 (the increase in value of his 50% share since April 2015). She will pay Capital Gains Tax on £350,000 being the uplift in value of her half share since the property was first purchased by John. She cannot use the 5th April 2015 value as her base cost as she did not own it then.


Gifts and sales below market value that are not from husband to wife (or wife to husband) are also disposals that may be subject to Capital Gains Tax. However an election may be made by both parties which has the effect of deferring the tax until the disposal of the property by the recipient.


In March 2017 Mary transfers 50% of the ownership of her rental property in London to her daughter. Mary is non-resident and bought the property many years ago for £100,000. At the 5th April 2015 the value of the property was £750,000 and at the date of transfer it was £800,000. Mary and her daughter have two choices:

Choice a)

Mary can pay the Capital Gains Tax now on £25,000 being the uplift in value of the 50% share between 5th April 2015 and the date of transfer OR

Choice b)

Mary and her daughter can elect to defer the tax. However when Mary’s daughter comes to sell her 50% share she will be taxed on £350,000 being the uplift in value of the 50% share since the property was first purchased by Mary.

The newsletters on this website are believed correct at the time of publication. They may not include subsequent changes in the law. If the subject matter is of interest you should contact us to see if there is a relevant update.

Taxation is a complicated subject and is subject to change. This article is provided for general guidance only. You should only rely on advice prepared specifically for you. Neither the writer nor Landlords Tax Services Ltd can be held liable for any loss arising from any act or omission by you as a result of your understanding of this article.

Landlords Tax Services Ltd, specialises in the taxation of residential property income and gains and around half its clients are resident outside the UK. If you would like specialist help contact Maurice Patry F.C.A. at or for more information visit our website at Landlords Tax Services Ltd